Welcome back, everyone!
I recently had a fantastic session with the Wilson family on Lake Oconee. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I truly have the best clients ever! This family was no exception, either. They have traveled from all over to vacation together and love the lake life.
We met at their Lake Oconee vacation rental home. I loved shooting at Lake Oconee because it is absolutely gorgeous and clients always look fresh and relaxed next to a lake at sunset.
It truly was an amazing photo shoot. And if any of you are considering a family session or are prepping for an upcoming session here are some tips for surviving a family session:
- Timing is everything. If you have younger children involved in the shoot, try and arrange the photoshoot at a time when they would be well-rested. A rested child makes for happy photos. On that note, make sure that all family members have gotten enough sleep the night before as this helps with the fun and relaxation aspects of the session.
- Dos and don’ts of bribery. Get your family excited about the photoshoot instead of offering a reward in return for their cooperation. This tends to lead to forced smiles and an irritated bunch of people. If you do have small children coming along it’s not a bad idea to give the photographer some bribery options in the form of toys or small food items to make those difficult moments a little easier
- Relinquish control. As much as you’ll want to direct your children on where to stand and how to pose, it’s best to leave that to the photographer as they know what works best. Not having this pressure will also make you feel more relaxed.
- It’s not just about the posing. The best photos happen when you’re having fun so joke and play with your children, hold your partner’s hand and just let the moments happen.
- Plan ahead. Discuss all of your requirements with your photographer beforehand so that the family photo session can just flow. Let your photographer know if you want specific pictures taken.
- Keep those sugar levels up. If everyone is well fed, the photoshoot will also run a lot smoother. It’s also not a bad idea to take a few snacks and some water along for those who might need it
Have you booked your family photo session this year?? It doesn’t have to be at Lake Oconee but it can be!
We’d LOVE to be your family and children photographers!
Visit our website, blog, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram. And call or email us and we willet started! Click HERE to contact us!